zondag 2 juni 2013

Yara March makes the difference

Today I  discovered something amazing.

I am a writer!

Of course, I already wrote two books in Dutch, and I am writing my third now. I did write more than 80 blogs, so I already considered myself as a writer

Why my surprise and hapiness?

On twitter, facebook and linkedin I get more and more native English speaking friends. I also have friends abroad who don't understand Dutch and they are curious about the things I write. So I  decided to translate the blogs I wrote earlier.

There was only one problem. When I talk English everybody knows the meaning of what I try to say. But when I am writing it down, you see how poor my English is. How very wrong the grammar is used and so on.

I need someone who can correct my English. I found him!. My love agreed to help me. I translate my first blog and give it to him to correct.

Aai, tttt, all that clicking noises that came out of his mouth. It didn't sound very good. I became more and more scared about the results. And I was right to be scared. There were so many things wrong, that he did ask permission to rewrite the whole blog.I was very pleased that he wanted to do it for me.

Less than half a day later I did receive the result. In correct English. No doubt about that. But there was something else wrong. At first I didn't know what bothered me. Suddenly it became clear to me.
It was no longer me.

The way I use words, the way I construct the text, that makes my blogs special.

A lot of discussions about the text later, he admitted. He not only corrects my English, he corrects my way of writing too. He had to admit that he isn't the right person to correct my English.

I have to make a decision. I translate my previously published blogs in not always correctly written English, or I only publish new ones like this and use google translate.

But still I am happy. It is now very clear to me, that I am a writer. I do something special with words. The difference is me.

Enjoy reading  The making of....Yara March





2 opmerkingen:

  1. Leuk dat je de wereld kleiner aan het maken bent,English only speaking phobofiles will love your blogs. Veel success met je boeken. Begrijp wat je bedoeld met vertaling begrippen, vond moppen vertellen in Engels heel moeilijk, nu gaat het vanzelf, nu ik de begrippen van de taal begrijp.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Thank you for responding. You can sent my blogs now to your English friends too. Does Tony read them in English or in Dutch?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen